Today is National Dog Biscuit Day! Not that you need another excuse to spoil your favorite fur babies, but today’s an especially great day to indulge them with their favorite treats!
We suggest doing something extra nice by cooking up fresh dog biscuits from scratch. Try this yummy recipe and let your pups know you truly care, from your oven to their bellies! And if your dog goes ga-ga over these treats, feel free to make them a regular staple in your kitchen any time of the year!
- 2/3 cup pumpkin puree
- 1/4 cup peanut butter
- 2 large eggs
- 2 1/2 – 3 cups whole wheat flour
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat; set aside.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat pumpkin puree, peanut butter and eggs on medium-high until well combined, about 1-2 minutes. Gradually add 2 1/2 cups flour at low speed, beating just until incorporated. Add an additional 1/4 cup flour at a time just until the dough is no longer sticky.
- Working on a lightly floured surface, knead the dough 3-4 times until it comes together. Using a rolling pin, roll the dough to 1/4-inch thickness. Using cookie cutters, cut out desired shapes and place onto the prepared baking sheet.
- Place into the oven and bake until the edges are golden brown, about 20-25 minutes.*
- Let cool completely.
- Fill the bellies of your favorite furry friends!